The present school at Woolley Moor is called Stretton Handley C of E Primary School and has around 50-60 pupils. It is a stone built building set in attractive grounds boasting fine views across the surrounding countryside.
Work began on the building to replace the old school on Ashover New Road in February 1969 and the school was moved into the new premises just before the Christmas holidays in 1969. The total building costs amounted to approximately £30,000!
Originally the school was built on informal teaching areas to give maximum flexibility for large and small groups of children, now wood and glass partitions have been constructed to provide more suitable teaching areas in line with todays reviewed educational thinking! There is a central hall used by the community for several functions, a kitchen and a ramp and toilet for use by disabled visitors. The school site has a total area of 1.70 acres and includes a large playing field and two hard surface playgrounds. There is also a pond and a wooded area where several bird boxes are situated, to enable environmental on-site studying. During Spring 2007, we added a bird box with a camera inside. Within days, the birds moved in and a couple of Blue Tits successfully raised a brood of five. Visit our Birdcam pages to watch what is going on in our bird box now and to see archive pictures and video footage.
Our School log book dates from January 1875, and contains many items of historical interest.
If you would like to learn more about our school please contact us on 01246 590418 or e-mail the Head Teacher.